Light Fixture Rehab

This is what we saw when we first walked into our home.  Gorgeous room, right?  Well of course I was taken aback by the awesome ceiling but then there was the horrible-looking fireplace, the gross fake shimmery bronze light fixture, the ugly fan, and don't even get me started on the strange planter in the middle of the room.  Those may have been fake flowers and vines people but there was real dirt in that planter box....that we dug out...seriously.  


But I digress...this is only supposed to be about the ugly light fixture, right?  

I wanted to get rid of that light fixture ASAP, but it was our only source of lighting in the room and we needed it while we were demo-ing our house.  


And so it grew on me.  When I told my husband I wanted to keep it, paint it, and move it by the fireplace, I think he thought I was crazy.  Because for months, I loathed it.  But light fixtures can be way expensive, he trusted my vision, and so I bought a can of glossy white paint.  

After a good dusting and cleaning, I went to town on the spray paint.  I left the lamp shades off too which I think helped.  I would have sawed off the scrolled-leaves on the very top of the light fixture but at the time, we didn't have any tools to do that.  Now that it's hanging up there, I'm too lazy to get on the ladder and work on it.  

So here it lives by the fireplace.  Glad we only spent about $4.00 for it!  This room is still a work in progress with so many more projects and updates we'd like to do but here it is in the current state. 

The next time you walk past an ugly light fixture, just think for a moment what it could be with a can of spray paint and/or other minor edits!!

Comments

Popular Posts