Masa Drop Biscuits


So I made my first chili of the fall tonight and of course, needed some cornbread.  But shoot, I was staring right at my dry goods and no cornmeal.  I did spot some masa flour though so I decided to alter my drop biscuit recipe to include that.  And Hello.  Thank goodness I was out of corn meal cause these are darn good.  The texture was perfect. They were so delicious with a solid spread of butter and honey.  I could have eaten these solely for my dinner.  These just might be my new go-to for chili nights.  I'm already excited to eat these again in the morning for breakfast.   


The Ingredients:

1 Cup masa harina flour
1 Cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 Teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 Cup cold salted butter, diced
1 Cup + 1 Tablespoon whole milk

The Steps:

1) Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 


2) Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or fork.  It will begin to look crumbly and that is what you are looking for.



3) Add in cold milk and stir.  I just used a fork to incorporate.  Do not over mix.  There will be some flour that isn't fully incorporated and that is OK.


4) On a lightly greased baking sheet, drop the dough about 2 inches apart.  Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits have a slight golden color to them.  I baked mine for 9 minutes, turned the oven off and left them in the oven for another 1 1/2 minutes. Every oven is different, so my rule of thumb is to always check early and often on any baked goods.




Comments

Popular Posts