Tomato + Onion Jam


So I have this ongoing list of dishes, sides, etc. to create.  When I see or hear about a recipe concept that I'd think I'd enjoy or if I've had a meal at a restaurant that I want to recreate myself, I jot it down on the list.  Tomato Jam was one on my list, and I think it's been on the list since a couple summers ago.  Tomato jam.  Hmmm, interesting.  I know tomatoes are not in season yet but I grabbed a sugar plum medley mixture from Trader Joe's and decided to try it out.  I topped it on a BLT sandwhich in place of the sliced tomato.  Super yum.  

The Ingredients:
1 lb Sugar Plum Tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 Cups Yellow Onion, thinly diced
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper

The Steps:
1) Add the onion, oil, salt, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar to a stock pot and cook over medium high heat for about 3-5 minutes or until onions soften and begin to get translucent. 


2) Add in the tomatoes, honey, garlic and pepper, and stir.  Cover, turn down the heat to a low simmer and cook 40-50 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. 


After 45 minutes of cooking.  
3) After the 40-50 minutes and the mixture has begun to thicken, take off the cover and add in 1 tablespoon of sugar and a dash of nutmeg.  Turn up the heat back to medium.  While stirring, cook another 5-7 minutes or until more of the liquid has reduced.  Serve room temperature.

Comments

Popular Posts