Sage + Goat Cheese Quinoa Fritters


I have to admit that I don't love the taste of quinoa.  When I choose to make it, it never gets me super excited about consuming it.   Years ago, I remember that my sister and I had a quinoa tator tot appetizer at a local Seattle restaurant.  Those I remember liking.  So when I was peering at my large bags of organic quinoa, I really felt like I need to figure out ways to get through them and this idea of the tator tot sparked my thoughts toward a making a fritter. 

The Ingredients:
Makes 14-16 Fritters

1 Cup Quinoa, uncooked
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1/3 Cup Shallots, diced
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Cup Cannellini Beans, rinsed + drained
2 Eggs
1/4 (heaping) Cup Chopped Sage
4-5 Oz. Goat Cheese
2/3 Cup Aleia's Gluten Free Italian Bread Crumbs
3 + Tablespoons Olive Oil

The Steps:

1) In a small stock pot, add the quinoa, chicken stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and shallots.  Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 12-15 minutes.  Set aside to cool to room temperature.  To speed up the cooling process, you can spread the quinoa out onto a sheet of parchment paper.  

2) Add the rinsed and drained beans to a medium mixing bowl and mash up the beans, using a fork.  Then add in 1/2 teaspoon salt, eggs, and pepper and mix.   Then add in goat cheese and sage and combine.


3) Add in the quinoa and bread crumbs to the mixture.



4) Heat up 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Make fritters about 3-4 inches wide and 1 inch in thickness and drop into the hot oil.  You will need to add in more oil as new fritters cook in the pan.



5) Cook each side for about 4-6 minutes and until their are golden brown.  Move cooked fritter onto a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.  Serve immediately with a dollop of Greek yogurt and my Tomato + Onion Jam recipe.  A homemade aoli sauce would be tasty too!




 

Comments

Popular Posts