Sweet Potato + Sage Drop Biscuits


These drop biscuits are my all-time favorite.  They are perfect for any additions, savory or sweet.  Although, I typically make them straight up, it's always fun to mix it up a bit.  Plus, these are super easy.  This is my new newest combination I love...mashed sweet potato and fresh sage.  Yum.  I made them to go with slow-cooked barbeque pork and crispy kale.  It was a delicious meal all-around.

If you bake without gluten, you can easily swap out the flour for your own gluten free flour and they come out just as delicious!  I have made them several times with an almond blend flour.  If you want to make these plain, just omit the sage and mashed sweet potato-everything else is the same.  


The Ingredients:
Pre-heat to 450 degrees
Makes 12 biscuits

2 Cups Flour (Swap out for Gluten Free!)
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Salted Butter, cold + diced
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 Mashed Sweet Potato
2 Tablespoons Fresh Sage, chopped
Olive oil for baking sheet

The Steps:

Note about the potatoes: I had boiled my sweet potatoes a couple days prior for a different meal and had extra which gave me idea for this recipe.  I just threw them in a medium stock pot, covered them in water whole and boiled them for about 45 minutes. Since they were cold form being in the fridge, I just peeled the skin off and mashed the potato in a bowl just before I made the biscuits.  

If you are going to boil the potatoes on the day of making the biscuits, you just need to factor in time for them to cook and soften.  I'd also recommend to peel them prior to boiling, so they can be mashed immediately and you don't have to wait for them to cool.

1) In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and mix well with a fork or whisk.  

2) Add the diced butter and cut it in the flour using a pastry cutter (highly recommend) or a fork until it has formed small crumbs.  



3) Add the sweet potato, sage and milk to the flour mixture.  Stir to combine with a spatula.  The dough will be quite sticky.  


4) Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.  Drop the dough on the sheet about 2 inches apart.  Makes 12 biscuits.  Bake at 450 degrees for 10-13 minutes and biscuits have the slightest golden touch to them. 




Comments

Popular Posts