Dairy + Gluten Free Potato Soup with Bacon Crumble

I love potato soup.  I love the creaminess of it, not to mention all the extra additions such as: a dollop of sour cream, bacon, cheese, and green onions.  These all just really make the soup in my mind.  BUT...this time around I opted to not make my soup with any flour or dairy.  I am always leery of the flavor at first but 9/10 times, the flavor is still pretty spot on.  Plus, I know with all the food sensitivities in my family, I need to continue venturing out into the dairy and GF world.  So here is my recipe for potato soup...


The Ingredients:
Serves 3-4

4 Cups Organic Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Cups Organic Russet Potatoes, skin-on, cubed
2 1/2 Cups Organic Yellow Onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
1 Teaspoon Fresh Garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Dry White Wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio are good options)
3 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
1 Teaspoon Salt + more to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper + more to taste
12 Oz Uncured Bacon, cooked and chopped (Trader Joe's has a delicious option for this!)
1/2 Cup Green Onion, finely chopped
Reserve 1 Tablespoon Bacon grease

1) Add olive oil and onions to a large stock pot and saute over medium high heat.  Stirring occasionally, saute onions until they start to get translucent and lightly browned (about 10 minutes).  Add in thyme and garlic and saute another 2-3 minutes.



2) Turn the heat up to high and add in the wine.  Allow liquid to reduce by cooking for another 3-4 minutes or so.  Add in the peeled potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a little less than medium, cover with a lid and allow to cook for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.

4)  While the soup is cooking, I choose to bake my bacon and potatoes (in separate baking sheets) in the oven at 400 degrees.  I also added some olive oil to potatoes to help with sticking to the pan.   These should bake about 20 minutes.

5) When bacon and potatoes are done, place bacon on a couple sheets of paper towels to soak up excess grease.  Reserve 1 Tablespoon of bacon grease.  Loosen the potatoes on the pan so they are  ready to add into the soup.  Coarsely chop the bacon and set aside.



6) When the potatoes in the soup are tender, use a stick blender (or if you don't have one, use a regular blender) and blend till you believe most of the potatoes have been broken down and the consistency of the soup is creamy.  


 6) Add in 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease to the soup and stir.  Taste soup to determine if you'd like more salt/pepper.  Add the skin-on potatoes in soup and stir.  Ladle soup in bowls, then garnish with bacon and green onions (I didn't have any on hand but if I know I'm making this ahead of time I make sure to have it).



Comments

Popular Posts