Mirror Makeover


Our master bedroom has been completed for a while now but I thought I'd post this incredibly easy DIY project.  I had found a pair of these brassy gold mirrors at TJ Maxx on the cheap and thought they'd be great in our Master bedroom.  Although I have a vintage brass chandelier in our bedroom and brass hardware in the bathroom, I didn't want to get all crazy with too many brass tones.  I had a ton of leftover paint samples from when we were deciding which colors to paint in our house and this mini project was the perfect opportunity to use up some of that paint.  Plus, many sample paints have a flat sheen level, which was exactly what I wanted.  Here's the project in three simple steps...

Materials Needed:
  • Paint of your choice
  • Small paint brush (1-2 inch width)
  • Disposable cup
  • Fine Sanding Block (100-120 Grit)
  • Clean dry rag
  • Wet rag to wipe up any spills, splatters that land on the mirror
  • Painter's tape if you want to tape around your mirror (optional)
The Steps:
1) Very lightly sand the mirror to scuff it up a bit to help the paint adhere and then wipe off any residue with the clean dry rag. 

2) Paint away! I kept it simple and only did one coat, since I knew these would just be hanging on the wall.

3) Optional: To achieve a distressed look, once the paint has fully dried, take the sanding block and lightly scuff off the paint in various spots and angles.  This will allow the color underneath to slightly come through the paint.

And now you are ready to hang....easy peasy!!!







Comments

Popular Posts