Simple Pumpkin Spice Cake



I adapted this recipe from my sister-in-law's Chocolate Kahlua Cake, which is amazing and so, so, so,  simple.  This cake turned out absolutely tender and perfect.  This for sure is an easy way to make a delicious pumpkin cake for any fall celebration or just because.  This recipe is a re-post from last fall, but I tweaked the spices a bit and wanted to share again.  Get ready for your house to smell yummy!


The Ingredients:

1 Box of Vanilla Cake Mix (I like using Trader Joe's Vanilla Cake and Baking Mix - it has vanilla beans in it which I love)
3.5 Box Organics Vanilla Pudding Mix (I find this at Target or Whole Foods but any brand will work)
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Couple Dashes of Cloves (probably about 1/8 teaspoon worth)
1 Cup Organic Canned Pumpkin 
1/4 Cup Organic Whole Milk
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (I like Trader Joe's Pure Bourbon Vanilla)
3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
3 Eggs

The Steps:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients: whole milk, eggs, pumpkin, vanilla and vegetable oil. 


2) Add in the cake mix, pudding, and spices and mix well with a whisk or spatula, making sure to break up any lumps.




3) Lightly oil a 9x13 pan and pour the cake mix into the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  I choose to bake mini loaves/cake this time around.  First, I lightly oiled the pan and I filled this tins nearly full.  I had some batter left over that I made another mini cake.  If you use a 6 mini-loaf, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  


This recipe is perfect for cupcakes too!  Just follow about directions and then fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake at 350 for about 22-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  This recipe will yield 15-18 cupcakes.  

**If you plan on frosting the cake...Once the cake has cooled, turn the pan(s) slowly to release the cake/cupcakes/mini cakes from the pan, using your hand to gently invert it onto a serving patter and frost!  Check out my Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting towards the bottom of the post.  


Comments

Popular Posts