Three-Herb Meatloaf (Gluten Free)


I know a lot of people cringe when they hear meatloaf.  Let's be honest, it's neither the most visually stunning dish, nor does the description really do it justice.  I have actually always enjoyed meatloaf, prepared either in my own home or by my mom.  I have to say that I would never order it out though.  It's for the same reason I never order meatballs out...they will just never compare to what I am used to and will more than likely leave me disappointed   

To me, meatloaf is like one giant meatball.  Another not so great descriptive word for something you are about to consume but needless to say, meatloaf doesn't have to be dry, dense or lack flavor.  It's quite the opposite in my kitchen.  Frankly, it's one our most favorite meals during the winter months.  I love pairing it with simple oven roasted potatoes.  I guess it's the ultimate American "meat and potatoes" meal.  Not to mention, I find it quite simple to prepare.  So, here's my Three-Herb Meatloaf...enjoy! 

The Ingredients:
Preheat at 400 Degrees
Serves 3-4 

1 1/3 lb Ground Beef
1 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, finely grated
1/4 Cup Ketchup + 2 Tablespoons
1/4 Cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs (I love using Aleia's GF Italian Bread Crumbs)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/2 Tablespoon Spicy Brown Mustard
1 Teaspoon Fresh Garlic, finely minced (dried works too)
1/2 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
1/2 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
1 Large Egg


The Steps:

1) Incorporate all of the ingredients together, except for the egg, in a large mixing bowl. Be careful not to over-mix here.  


2) Crack the egg in the bowl and lightly beat with the fork, then gently fold and work into the beef.


3) Line a 9x13 baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with olive oil.  Using the mixing fork, divide the meat into two equal portions and with your fork or hands, form loaves.  Flatten down the tops just slightly.  


4) Top each loaf with about 1 tablespoon of ketchup.  Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  Every oven is different, so check at 35 minutes for done-ness.  Mine is always done right between 38-40 minutes.  


Comments

Popular Posts