French Dip Soup



Consider this a French Dip Sandwich deconstructed!  Definitely another great fall/winter soup that should be consumed!

Originally when I got the roast beef and bread at the store, I was planning on making the classic sandwich.  But I had forgotten to buy the beef broth for the au jus.  Ugh.  There is nothing more annoying to me, when you "plan" for a meal, you are about to dig in, just to realize you forgot a fairly key ingredient.

Then I remembered this recipe concept from one of my food magazines I had made once or twice several years ago.  I thought I had saved it where the rest of my hard-copy recipes live but it was no where to be found.  Darn.  I mean, not darn!  I love being creative in the kitchen and drumming up recipes on my own!  So, here was another perfect opportunity to create my own dish.

I was a bit leery about using chicken broth instead of the beef broth but I had to try, right?  We think it turned out pretty tasty, so my husband and are happy I got this one down in writing.

The Ingredients:
Serves 2-3

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
10 Oz Ciabatta Bread (about 7-8 Cups, into 1/2 cubes)
8 Oz Roast Beef, about 2-3 slices per person torn in bite-size pieces
1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme, removed from stem
3/4 Cup Shredded Cheese (I like to use the Quattro Formaggio Blend from Trader Joe's made of: Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina and Provolone)  
2 Cups Yellow Onion, roughly chopped
4 Cups Beef or Chicken Broth (I would have used beef broth but only had chicken broth on hand)
1 Cup Blonde Ale Beer
1 Teaspoon Fresh Garlic (2-3 small cloves finely minced)
Sea Salt (start w/1 Teaspoon, then increase to taste) + Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste

The Steps:

1) In a large stock pot, add the olive oil and onions and sauté over medium heat until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.  Add in the garlic and thyme and stir and allow to cook another minute or two.

2) Add in the salt, pepper, and beer.  Turn heat up a bit and cook until the liquid has reduced about 1/4 cup.  Then add in the stock, turn down the heat, and cover.  Allow to simmer for at least 1 hour.  Keep in mind that the longer a soup can cook, the stronger and better the flavor!


3) While the soup is cooking, cut the bread into cubes and place about 2 cups worth in each bowl.  Once the soup in nearly done, tear up the roast beef on top of the bread.  


4) Then add about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on top.  When you are ready to serve, ladle the liquid on top and at least 1/2 way up the bowl.  The bread will soak up a lot so feel free to add in more.   Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts