Cinnamon + Orange Scented Cranberry Sauce


The smell of Thanksgiving is in the air.  With two days left before Turkey day, I decided to make my cranberry sauce ahead of time.  One less thing to think of while my husband and I prepare a couple other dishes to bring to our family's house.

I never like the jellied canned cranberry sauce but we always had it at every Thanksgiving growing up.  Sorry Mom.  Since my husband could eat cranberry sauce for days, I was excited to make this for him several years ago.  I always make quite a extra so he can then have his turkey and cranberry sandwiches, well...for days.  This is one recipe you can make several days ahead of time.  And I'm all about having recipes on hand that I don't have to make all in the same day!  My Cinnamon Scented Cranberry Sauce is easy to make and delicious so I hope you like it.

The Ingredients:
Yields 3 Cups, cooked

2 - 8 oz bags Cranberries (I got mine at Trader Joe's)
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
1/4 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1/4 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
Orange zest, optional


The Steps:

1) Add all of the ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.


2) Reduce heat. cover partially to allow steam to escape, and simmer about 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.  Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools but you can always add a touch more liquid if you feel it's too thick.

3) Cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.  I added in some orange zest before placing in the fridge.  Add as much or little as you like.  You can easily reheat the sauce just before serving the food, leave it chilled, or bring it to room temperature.
  

Comments

  1. Cranberry sauce is great anytime; items are on the list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts